The Staff Qualifications module allows users to store and keep track of qualifications related to their job and personal professional development. Staff can be tasked to submit specific qualifications and provide evidence by adding attachments like certificates or diplomas, together with their expiry date if applicable. When there is an expiry period for a qualification, the system will keep track of the expiry dates and reissue tasks automatically as the dates approach. Verifiers can be assigned to confirm the validity of evidence submitted.
Qualifications and other staff records can be limited to specific Organisational Units (OUs) to protect the privacy of users and contain records within a department when required. Categories can be created and assigned to staff qualifications to further classify them.
There are two permissions that govern Staff Qualifications access: Qualifications:Can view Qualifications and Qualifications:Can Create/Edit Qualifications. Both are restricted to the OUs where they are applied.
The ‘view’ permission is included in the system roles:
- Global Viewer (excluding admin)
- Global Editor (excluding admin)
- Personnel Management Editor
- Personnel Management Viewer
The ‘create/edit’ permission is included in the system roles:
- Global Editor (excluding admin)
- Personnel Management Editor
Site Admins always have these permissions in every OU.
There are currently no global or OU specific preferences to adjust staff qualification settings.
Staff Qualifications are found under the main menu, Competency and they are also held under each individual’s staff profile (Personnel Management > Staff Profiles). Under the Competency area, they are organised by the name of the qualification and the staff who hold them are listed under each qualification created in the system.
When navigating to the Competency > Staff Qualifications > Staff Qualifications tab, a search area will be available to find items by entering a code or name in the Search free text field, filtering them by Category (selected from a dropdown menu) and/or ordering them alphabetically by name (Order Results by- Name A-Z or Name Z-A). A pie chart gives a quick view of the portion of currently qualified staff.
The results appear below, displaying the Code, Name, Category and number of qualified Staff. The Staff(Qualified/All) column shows a fraction of the number of qualified staff over the total number of staff added to that qualification. The Actions column on the far right contains familiar icons to view the record (magnifying glass icon) and to mark it as a favourite (heart icon).
Results can be exported in CSV (Excel compatible) format.
Each qualification record has a General tab where the main information is presented (detailed below in the creation/edition process).
The second tab along lists Staff associated with the qualification. The number in brackets next to the tab title corresponds to the total number of staff members associated. There is a search facility that allows selecting already added staff members from a dropdown menu (Search Staff Member).
The results can also be filtered by Status, which include:
- Current - the latest instance, leaving out previous qualifications
- Awaiting Verification - if verification is required and pending
- Pending - if the staff member hasn’t completed a task to submit a new qualification
- Qualified - if the qualification is valid and hasn’t expired
- Not Qualified - all assigned staff who do not hold a current, in-date record for this qualification. Groups the statuses Awaiting Verification, Pending, Expired and Overdue
- Expired - if the qualification has an expiry period and it has lapsed
- Overdue - if the task assigned has not been completed within the stipulated time
An Order Results By field is available (Staff Name A-Z or Staff Name Z-A) and results can be exported in CSV (Excel compatible) format from this page as well.
The results area shows an overview of each staff member’s standing, providing information about the status of their qualification (as detailed above), a due date, a completion date and an expiry date.
The Actions column includes:
- a magnifying glass icon to display the person’s record in a lightbox (pop-up window), which also contains a Changelog button to view the history of that qualification instance and lists any attachments added (only to that instance)
- a trash/bin icon to delete the qualification instance is available when the user has the permission, Qualifications:Can Create/Edit Qualifications
- an icon to reissue a qualification confirmation task (two arrows forming a circle), which shows if the current status is ‘qualified’ or ‘expired’ and there isn’t a newer version of it (pending or not)
The number in brackets next to the tab title corresponds to the total number of OUs to which the qualification is restricted. Only staff members whose Default OU is one of the OUs declared in this area will be allowed to be entered. Also, only users who have access to view qualifications in one of the OUs declared will be able to see them.
The Qualifications tab under a person’s Staff Profile stores all their qualifications. The number in brackets next to the tab title corresponds to the total number of qualifications added (whether valid or not).
The search area for this page includes Search, Status and Order Results By fields, plus a Qualification dropdown filter that only displays qualifications associated with the staff member in reference.
The results area below displays an overview of the staff member’s qualifications, including the following details: Code, Name, Status, Completed On, Expires On (”Not Set” if not applicable) and an Actions column which can show the magnifying glass, trash/bin and reissue icons as described above.
Staff can be added to qualifications directly by a person with appropriate permissions or they can be requested from the staff member through a task.
Under Competency > Staff Qualifications, when a qualification is opened and the Staff tab is selected, two buttons will become available to those with the permission, Qualifications:Can Create/Edit Qualifications - [+]Add Qualified and [+]Create Qualification Task. Already qualified staff can be added without generating a task if any required evidence and expiry dates are available to the user doing it. Alternatively, when a staff member is requested to add their qualifications, tasks are generated and must be completed to gain the accreditation.
To add qualified staff in the Competency area:
Only one staff member at a time can be added in this screen as each one might have different evidence and expiry dates.
To create qualification tasks in the Competency area:
More than one staff member can be added in this screen as each one will add their own evidence and expiry dates when they complete the task.